Petrochemical/Oil & Gas Industries
Application of Fiber Optics in Petrochemical/Oil & Gas Industries
As the demand for deep explorations grow, the oil and gas industry creates one of the most challenging work environments. Amid the concerns of safety, the need for accurate real time sensing of parameters like high pressure, high temperature (HPHT) as well as presence of chemicals is increasing. Traditional electrical devices and sensors cannot work effectively in these challenging environments and are often limited by issues such as cross talk, signal attenuation, and cross sensitivities. This is where the fiber optic devices can make a difference. The demand for fiber optics in oil and gas and petrochemical industries has surged over the last few years. This is owing to the safety, compatibility, speed, and scalability of these devices offer. VERSITRON manufactures hardened industrial versions of fiber optic network devices such as media converters, switches, modems, and more. These devices are designed to be resistant to oils, corrosive chemicals, salt water, temperature fluctuations, and other natural hazards. We offer customized and fully functional fiber optic devices in oil and gas as well as petrochemical industries. This fiber optic communication technology, often blended with existing legacy networks, is crucial in achieving high bandwidth, data rates, and transmission distance. The increased use of this technology has helped businesses operating in the petrochemical, oil, and gas industries to achieve their business goals and increase revenue.
VERSITRON's Offerings for Petrochemical and Oil & Gas Industries
Over the years, we have designed and delivered the following types of fiber optic devices in oil and gas industries.
- SCADA: The oil & gas industry requires Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems to support remote data transmission, to control certain processes, in upstream oil fields including Shale. The system comprises the communication system, the master station, and the remote station, and is integrated with fiber optic communication media to avoid electromagnetic interference and facilitate long-distance transmission. Fiber optics in SCADA increases both safety and bandwidth.
- Micro Modems: VERSITRON’s industrial fiber optic micro-modems are suitable for safe operation monitoring at crucial sites in both these sectors. We offer the M82xxD series single mode versions for underwater data communications links between submerged equipment. They offer transparent fiber optics transmission for data, clock, and control signals.
- Fiber Optic Network Switches:These devices play a huge role in data packet forwarding and come with ports for copper as well as fiber cables. Most models are enabled with PoE slots. We have specially designed hardened industrial switches that can withstand such harsh environments.
- Fiber Optic Media Converters: These media converters connect an Ethernet device with a Cat5 or Cat6 cables to a fiber optic cable. It reads signals from both types of cables and hence successfully transfers data. This is possible over long distances and with remote access, and hence these fiber media converters are suitable in the oil & gas offshore platforms. The operator can remotely access an IP camera located in the drilling site from a distance of at least one mile.
- Video Transmission Systems: VERSITRON’s fiber optic video transmission systems protect mission critical data, and offer signal transmission over long distances. We also offer video installation kits comprising transceivers, receivers, power supplies, and so on which can be easily installed. These kits are provided with either single mode and multimode fibers.
The following are some common applications of fiber optics in oil and gas industry.
- Data Transmission: Fiber optic devices are used in many upstream oil and gas applications. Our fiber optic media converters and fiber optic network switches are integrated with nonfiber-optic products to receive real-time and automatic traffic alerts.
- Downhole Communication: Our fiber optic devices are extensively used to initiate communication with downhole equipment. They facilitate monitoring of drilling and production activities.
- Subsea Connectivity:Fiber optic cables and our fiber optic devices such as media converters and network switches ensure high bandwidth communication between control centers and subsea installations. These fiber optic devices help enhance subsea monitoring and production.
- Safety Monitoring:Fiber optics devices in oil and gas industry are used for monitoring safety hazards in oil and gas processing facilities for detecting fires, gas leaks, and safety concerns.
Benefits of Opting for VERSITRON’s Solutions
You can absolutely rely on the quality of our networking devices regardless of operating environment and criticality of the application. Aside from this, there are many benefits of sourcing fiber optic devices in oil and gas as well as petrochemical industries.
- Our fiber optic products are resistant to heat, cold, moisture, corrosion, harsh chemicals, vibration, pressure, and so on. This makes them suitable for the harsh environments of these two industries as well as the ocean floor.
- Our compact fiber optic cables offer a huge bandwidth, which reduces the installation time, size, and weight.
- Our fiber optics sensing solutions offer accurate readings in terms of oil reserve levels, environmental parameters, effective temperatures monitoring and control, and device performance.
- We offer plenty of customization to suit your requirements in terms of hardware, splicing, cable lengths, network expansion over geographical distances, and so on.
- Our products facilitate remote monitoring and access, temperature control, and improved surveillance capabilities required on the offshore platform.
Fiber optics play a vital role in ensuring efficient communication, safety, and productivity in petrochemical and oil & gas industries. We at VERSITON offer good-quality network devices with a high level of customization for mission-critical applications. If you are a part of the oil & gas or petrochemical industry, you may require robust fiber optic devices for high-speed data transmission and large bandwidth. VERSITRON has played a significant role in developing compatible devices that are suitable for copper and fiber networks and can withstand harsh environments. If you would like to discuss your application or have any further questions regarding our fiber optic network devices, feel free to contact us via email or phone.
3-Slot Managed Modular Switch
PoE+ Gigabit Media Converter | 1-RJ45 Ethernet Port, 1-SFP Fiber Port
PoE+ Gigabit Industrial Media Converter | 1-RJ45 Ethernet Port, 1-SFP Fiber Port
6-Port Unmanaged Switch | 4-RJ45 Ethernet Ports, 2-SFP Fiber Ports
10/100/1000Base-T to 1000Base-SX/LX "Triple Duty" Gigabit Media Converter with SFP GBIC Technology
"I couldn't be happier with the equipment or the service you gave me during our 'rush' to deploy."
"It's working perfectly and has since the day we first connected the fiber."
"I'm pleased both with the product and probably more so with the people behind the product!"