What is a PoE+ Switch?
A PoE+ switch is an advanced version of Power over Ethernet (PoE) Technology that complies with the IEEE802.3at standard. These switches supply power over two pairs of cables and provide 30 watts of power per port whereas a standard PoE switch only provides 15.4 watts per port. These switches are used to connect certain networking devices, which may require more source power such as IP cameras and VoIP Phones. Powered (PD) devices are supported in the operating voltage range between 50V to 57V. PoE+ Switches also offer advanced features like QoS, VLAN, and security protocols to manage and optimize network traffic.
PoE+ switches are designed to be backward compatible with PoE devices, so they can also power devices that are compatible with the original PoE standard. However, devices that require more than 15.4 watts of power will only function properly when connected to a PoE+ switch.
What are the Components of PoE Switches?
The PoE network switch enables the data transmission between a data source to the receiver equipment. However, the power function of these switches relies on the following components of the PoE system:
Power Sourcing Equipment (PSE):
The power transmission in a PoE system takes place between a power source and a powered device (PD). The source of power that transmits power to the Ethernet cable is referred to as power sourcing equipment (PSE).
PSE can be connected to powered devices (PD) in one of the following two ways.
ENDSPAN is the PoE transmission where there is absolutely no need for an additional power supply from PSE to PD.
MIDSPAN is the PoE transmission where an additional power supply is integrated at the mid-length of the transmission cable. Commonly, PoE injectors are used as MIDSPAN power supply in the PoE systems.
Powered Device (PD):
The device that consumes the power transmitted by Ethernet cable is known as a powered device (PD). There can be one or multiple powered devices (PDs) in the PoE system. The powered devices can be VoIP phones, IP cameras, wireless access points, network terminals, etc.
Ethernet cable is the intermediate bidirectional transmission media between the PSE and PDs. The Ethernet cable can be a twisted-pair copper cat5 or cat6 cable. It enables the transmission of data and power simultaneously.
This is used to configure and manage the switch, including setting up VLANs, monitoring network traffic, and configuring QoS settings.
This keeps the switch cool to prevent overheating and ensure reliable operation.
How does a PoE Switch work?
A PoE switch configuration is easy to understand, owing to its simple construction. The Power over Ethernet switch features several Ethernet ports to ensure that power is provided to the networking devices connected to it. These switches may be operated in any of the following configurations:
- Mode A Configuration: In this configuration, the switch delivers power and data through the same wire.
- Mode B Configuration: In this configuration, the switch delivers power and data through different wires.
Which Devices Can be Powered by PoE Switches?
VERSITRON’s Gigabit PoE switches and PoE+ switches can be used to power the following devices in an Ethernet network.
- IP Cameras
- VoIP Phones
- PTZ Cameras
- Large displays/monitors/laptops
- Remote Terminal Computers
- IP Telephones
- Door Access Systems
- Point-of-Sales (POS) network terminals
- Back office servers
Our PoE+ switches are suitable to use for powering the following high-wattage devices:
- Computer Monitors
- Surveillance Equipment
- Speed dome cameras
- Audio Networking Systems
What are the Features and Specifications of PoE/PoE+ Switches?
PoE/PoE+ switches are gaining in popularity over other types of devices because they help simplify the installation and complex layouts in expanding networks. Their ability to transmit data and power devices over a single cable makes them more suitable than other types of switches. VERSITRON’s Gigabit PoE Ethernet switches are distinguishable due to the following features:
- Our high-end managed gigabit Ethernet switches (10/100/1000) can transmit Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, and Gigabit Ethernet transmissions effectively.
- Ethernet: Our industrial switches offer a 10 Mbps transmission rate.
- Fast Ethernet: Our Fast Fiber and Ethernet switches can transmit a data rate of 100Mbps.
- Gigabit Ethernet: The Gigabit Ethernet switches assure a 1000 Mbps data transmission rate.
- Our standard PoE Ethernet switches are compatible with Cat5e and Cat6 twisted-pair cables
- Our SFP-integrated Gigabit PoE+ switches are compatible with singlemode, multimode, simplex, or duplex types of fiber optic transmission.
- PoE or PoE+ switches offer better adaptability since this equipment can be transferred to any remote location without an active source of power supply.
- The PoE and PoE+ switches feature copper-fiber compatibility with built-in SFP ports which makes them suitable for hybrid Ethernet networks.
- • Jumbo frame transmission is supported which enables the transmission of bulky data files.
- The port mirroring or switched port analyzer (SPAN) feature of these PoE switches allows the replication of data packets sent to different devices over a VLAN network.
- Virtual stacking management (VSM) feature in our PoE switches enables centralized management, monitoring, and control over functions of multiple switches in a network.
- Our switches support STP and RSTP protocols which improves their port capabilities such as discarding and forwarding data packets.
- The PoE powered network switches encourage multicast VLAN registration (Port-based and 802.1Q tag-based LAN)
- Our PoE network switches support spanning tree protocol which prevents data loops in case of redundant paths in the network.
- Link aggregation control protocol (LACP) supported by VERSITRON’s PoE switches allows establishing an LACP data unit connection between two devices in a network.
- We offer full-time support and maintenance to the customers, therefore, maintenance and troubleshooting are no hassle for our customers.
Versatile Power Supply:
|PoE Standards (IEEE Extensions)
|Maximum PoE Power Supply
|PoE Power Supplied to PD
|IEEE 802.3bt (UPoE)
|90 to 95W
Types of PoE/PoE+ Switches Offered by VERSITRON
We currently manufacture managed PoE switches in the following two categories.
Managed Industrial PoE/PoE+ Switches:
Managed Industrial PoE/PoE+ Switches feature rugged construction, which helps them withstand harsh environmental conditions. The switches are tested for operating across a wide operating temperature range of -40 degrees Celsius to +70 degrees Celsius. They are designed for DIN rail mounting, which is a common mounting standard for industrial equipment. They meet EN60950-1 Safety, EN61000-6-4 emission, EN61000-6-2 Immunity for industrial environments, IEC60068-2-64 Vibration, and IEC60068-2-27 Shock approval standards. We currently provide managed industrial PoE/PoE+ switches in 4-port, 7-port, 10-port, and 18-port configurations.
Managed Commercial PoE/PoE+ Switches:
PoE/PoE+ switches are equipped with various advanced management features, which help improve their utility and reliability in fast-growing business environments. Offered with 10/100/1000Base-T PoE ports, these managed commercial PoE/PoE+ switches are available in 10-port, 20-port, 28-port, and 52-port configurations.
What are the Advantages of PoE/PoE+ Switches?
VERSITRON’s PoE/PoE+ switches have been successfully utilized in wireless and automation applications for several years now. They are preferred for the following reasons.
- Our PoE/PoE+ switches comply with IEEE802.3af and IEEE802.3at standards for the power supply. They have no power-socket restrictions and users can deploy them for high power and high speed transmission without additional settings.
- Smart management features equipped in the switches allow clients to use power resources efficiently for better business ROI. These switches can automatically detect the power consumption of each PD and allot only the required amount of power.
- Advanced and smart features of switches allow users to set power supply policies to optimize service availability. Users can prioritize the PDs and assign certain ports to prevent system interruption due to the increasing power supply requirements of an organization.
- The switches eliminate the need for additional power cabling. By saving on power outlets and cabling the devices can significantly reduce the cost of installation and maintenance.
- These switches provide centralized power management functions which makes it easier to troubleshoot any power-related issues that may arise.
How to Install PoE Switches?
The process of PoE/PoE+ switch installation to a Network Video Recorder (NVR) is detailed in the following example:
- Connect an Ethernet cable in the path “LAN Port-to-PoE/PoE+ Switch-to- Router”.
- Connect the supply cable to the switch and the surge detector.
- Connect the IP camera to 1-8 ports on the PoE/PoE+ switch.
- Ensure that the cameras are attached to NVR to record the video.
At VERSITRON, we offer unmatched customer assistance, which in turn enables our customers to procure the correct PoE switch that best suits their application. This commitment to quality and customer satisfaction has helped us build a worldwide base of satisfied customers over the past 60+ years. If you would like to know more about our PoE+ network switches including our Gigabit POE+ switches or other fiber optic switches please feel free to call (1-800-537-2296) or open a chat with our experts. We would welcome the opportunity to work with you!