DDM or Digital Diagnostic Monitoring is a technology that allows testing the function of a device in real-time. In the market, you get devices with or, without DDM. But, opting for DDM-enabled electronic and network devices such as Ethernet switches is always a good option because of the benefits this technology offers. It is always wide to make informed decisions, especially when you need to invest in technology and networking. Also, DDM-enabled devices generate alert messages if there are changes in their functions or set parameters. So, it is worth spending that extra money and buy an Ethernet switch with the DDM function. This post discusses the details of DDM in Ethernet switches and how it is useful when buying the device.
What is an Ethernet Switch and How Does it Function?
An Ethernet switch is an important connectivity device which acts as a central hub in a wired network. Also known as network switch, its ports are connected to computers, cameras, printers, and other devices on a private network. You can connect to the Internet by connecting this Ethernet switch to a router with the help of a cable. So, it serves purpose in private or business networks as well as established Internet connectivity as and how required. In short, it acts as a central communication interface for all the connected devices on the network, which transfer data packets from one LAN port to another. Each Ethernet device has a unique ID depending on the manufacturer. Switches use this to identify connectivity between devices. It creates a sort of database to help map the source and destination addresses for data packets to be delivered rightly.You get a combination of a router and switch as a single device. Also, you can connect multiple Ethernet switches to form a large network.
More Information on DDM and its Advantages
It is important that each device on a network performs its task accurately for the right output. Hence, function monitoring of devices is an important aspect, and DDM does exactly that. It monitors crucial parameters such as input and output power, voltage, temperature, and so on. You can monitor the transmission and reception ports of the switch in teal time. DDM offers several advantages, and here are some of them:
- The real-time monitoring function eases the job of the network administrator when locating a fault or even during maintenance.
- With this feature, you can get a fair estimate about the operational life of the device.
- You do not have to switch off the network while monitoring the device, and hence work can continue uninterrupted.
- It identifies issues related to operating temperature and voltage before they get out of control and hence can be fixed on time. This saves on damage-related costs and productive time.
- This, in a way, expands the life of a network making it more seamless than ever before and helps prevent crashes and breakdowns.
- DDM also checks the device compatibility as per set standards with the working environment. This helps optimize the device performance.
- You can troubleshoot remotely even if you are based in another location.
Use of Digital Diagnostic Monitoring in Ethernet Switches
Ethernet switches are used as a connectivity interface in many real time and mission critical applications. So, it is crucial that they provide the right output at the right time. Some of the applications of Ethernet switches include traffic control systems and stop lights on a network located in distant places. Such systems connected through distributed networks may at times face connectivity issues due to various reasons such as wrong cable-panel connection, digging on roads, and so on. In such cases, DDM function can easily identify the issue and the administrator or engineer can access the switch management screen from any location remotely. This screen displays the following parameters:
- SFP module features such as current temperature and voltage
- The signal strength at which the data transmission occurs over a cable
- In case of a fiber optic cable, the amount of light transmitted as well as received
- Current supplied to the transmitter
After checking all these parameters on the screen, the engineer can make an informed decision and perform preventive maintenance, check for signal attenuation, check for any deterioration on the optical path, and so on. Above all, all these parameters can be checked as a part of periodic maintenance to prevent any further damages.
If you are looking for Ethernet switches or any other network device to enhance your transmission rate and connectivity, ensure you opt for a DDM-enabled device. Also, make sure you source the switches from an authorized and certified manufacturer and supplier. VERSITRON is a leading manufacturer of a variety of fiber optic network devices such as Ethernet switches with the DDM function, which help you establish long distance connectivity at high speeds.