Industrial Hardened PoE/PoE+ Switches
What Are Hardened PoE Switches?
PoE or Power Over Ethernet is a technology that offers power and network connectivity for PoE-powered devices over a single network cable. A PoE switch features an integrated PoE Injection. The switches are distinguished as PoE and PoE+ according to the electrical power they carry. These switches possess different current carrying capacities. For instance, a PoE switch can provide 15.4W power to the Ethernet port, while a PoE+ switch provides 30W to the Ethernet port.
Does that mean the switch delivers the entire power that it receives to the devices connected to it? The answer is no. A PoE switch delivers only 12.95W to devices connected to it. However, the PoE+ switch can deliver 25.50W to the device connected to it. In short, PoE+ switches can deliver almost two times more power than PoE switches.
What Are Industrial PoE switches?
Hardened switches are a special type of switches designed to survive ambient temperatures and harsh environments. Unlike other regular switches, these hardened switches can withstand temperatures ranging from -40°F to 167°F (-40°C to +75°C). These switches are suited for noisy environments or harsh environments where they may be subjected to vibrations.
What Are the Advanced Features of Industrial PoE Switches Offered by VERSITRON?
VERSITRON provides managed industrial PoE switches in 10-port, 5-port, and 4-port configurations. These switches feature built-in fiber and copper ports. Let’s review the advanced features of each of these industrial managed PoE switches.
- 10-Port Gigabit Industrial PoE Switch: This switch comprises 10/100/1000 Mbps RJ-45 ports and 100/1000 Mbps SFP slots. They provide SNMP and in-band features. This industrial grade PoE switch features copper ports with auto-MDI/MDI-X detection and auto-negotiation. PoE supports DIN rail, standalone, and panel mounting connectivity with SFP ports.
- 4-Port 10/100/1000 Industrial Managed Switch: This industrial managed PoE switch features 2 PSE PoE+ Ports and 2 100M/1G Fiber SFP Slots. There are 2 ports of 10/100/1000 with RJ45 connectors. These RJ45 ports assure 30W of PoE+ power, and are ideal for powering video phones, IP cameras, industrial sensors, and so on. However, the SFP slots allow users to use singlemode, multimode, and single fiber optic cable in 100 Km distances. These industrial PoE+ switches are equipped with management features such as STP, MSTP, and RSTP, storm control for MC/BC/UC packets, static MAC configuration, etc.
- 5 Port PoE Switch - Fiber Optic - 10/100 Industrial: This 5-port industrial network PoE switch can perform in extreme temperature environments. The PoE switch assures high emission and immunity performance for applications used in high vibration or extremely noisy environments. Unlike the 4-port 10/100/100 industrial managed PoE switches, these industrial grade 5-Port PoE switches are unmanaged.
Benefits of Using Industrial Grade PoE Switches
- Enable high-speed network connections as well as deliver power using a single port and a single cable. This eliminates the need for additional accessories and help you save on extension cables, extra outlets, and so on.
- Industrial managed PoE switches come with power management features which automatically determine the power required for each PD and deliver accordingly.
- Intelligent power monitoring of these PoE switches helps utilize power efficiently and save on costs.
- The auto-MDI/MDX feature in our switches in auto-negation setting helps eliminate the need for crossover cabling.
- Our Industrial switches are built to 802.3af standards and PoE+ switches to IEEE 802.3at standards.
- Our PoE+ switches and hardened industrial switches are used in various industrial applications and are rugged to withstand harsh operating environments.
- They provide Layer 3 or Layer 2 networking for various types of Ethernet Networks such as Fast Ethernet, Ethernet, and Gigabit Ethernet. They can store and forward data effectively.
- VERSITRON’s PoE+ fiber switches can be used with CAT 5 cabling for maximum data transmission. This utilization of CAT 5 cables helps reduce power dissipation and negates changes of impedance.
- They can support pan/tilt/zoom cameras, alarm systems, video IP systems, advanced technologies like video conferencing devices, and so on.
- Our PoE+ fiber switches feature auto-update of MAC address lookup.
Tips for Selecting Industrial PoE Switches for Your Application
You will find a variety of industrial grade PoE switches with VERSITRON. Owing to their diverse specifications, the selection may get difficult. The following tips will help you make the right selection.
- Always choose switches with higher port counts as they will help you meet burgeoning enterprise networking requirements.
- Focus on the data transfer rates required by your application. Our network switches can support 10/100/1000Base-T speeds or even faster speeds.
- Ensure that the PoE+ switches that you choose support power supply needs of the devices connected to it.
- You can choose PoE switches if you are planning to power wireless applications in the office such as IP phones, surveillance cameras, and so on. However, PoE+ switches are the best choice if you wish to invest in high-end systems in your enterprise.